Thursday, September 13, 2007

And off to the Emergency Room...

Tuesday evening, after Mark went to work, I noticed some spotting and some cramping pain. It got worse and so I called the doctor-on-call. He told me chances are I was either having a miscarriage or an eptopic pregnancy, and it wouldn't matter if I went to the doctor or not. I asked for a referral to go anyway, and he sent one. I called Mark and he took me. We arrived at 10:05pm, and checked in. About an hour and a half later, we were sent to a room. I had blood drawn and gave a urine sample. Then, an ultrasound tech wheeled me down for my first ultrasound. Mark wasn't allowed to go with me, so I went alone. I had to have a vaginal ultrasound since the baby isn't old enough to show up on a regular ultrasound. The tech started the ultrasound and after MANY painful minutes later, showed me my baby. Here's a picture of an ultrasound similar to what our baby looks like now:
Be aware: this is NOT actually our baby, just an ultrasound that's very similar.

Anyway, I also got to hear the heartbeat, which was 136 bpm. According to the myths, it's a boy...but we'll see! Anyway, I have a gestational heart murmur (doc says it's because my heart is working harder to provide for two), and the due date has now moved to May 7th. This is good because...Mother's Day is May 11! So, if all goes as planned (which we know it won't!), I'll be a mom for Mom's Day! The baby is fine...apparently, some bleeding is normal during the first trimester :).

No comments: